Subject: E-conference: Faces of Modern Terrorism
THE UNIVERSITY OF SILESIA IN KATOWICE AND THE ACADEMIC COMPANY WISEPLACE HAVE THE PLEASURE OF INVITING YOU FOR THE INTERNATIONAL E – CONFERENCE
"FACES OF MODERN TERRORISM",
which will be held on 14 - 18 December 2015
There are few phenomena which are so huge threat to human life and health as organised crime, and above all - terrorism. Although the phenomenon of terrorism is not new, nowadays it takes previously unknown, innovative and unprecedented forms. Among the factors perceived as an emblem of today's organised crime there are as follows: determination of terrorists, the lack of respect for their own and other people's lives, as well as the fact that being directed against the civilian population it always tries to use the element of surprise. Starting from September 11, 2001, from the attack on the World Trade Center, the issue of terrorism is increasingly present in the public and scientific discourse. This is the aftermath of at least two factors: the first of them can undoubtedly be a role played by the media in providing information about the actions and activities of terrorists; while the second one is more practical; the scale of the phenomenon cause that we are dealing with a global problem. This dissemination of terrorism carries with it different implications. The terrorist acts influence not only the actions taken by individual governments and supranational organisations making it a matter of priority, but also affect economic life in the form of investment and infrastructure losses. They also reverberate on social capital (civilian casualties) and on - difficult to estimate - chronic sense of fear and danger. This impact of different forms of modern terrorism on the daily lives of citizens and the shape of international relations is however only an outline of possible topics that fit in with the subject of the proposed conference. The initiators of this event are convinced of the necessity of a multi-faceted treatment of the problem of terrorism. Therefore, they invite representatives of academia, of public administration as well as representatives of media to participate in the joint debate.
The conference tackles the following themes:
· National and international security in the twenty-first century
· Terrorism in historical perspective
· The phenomenon of terrorism in the world – definitional and theoretical divagations
· Modern faces of terrorism - from political terrorism to cyber-terrorism
· Environmental determinants of modern terrorism
· Terrorist organisations - structure, organisation and activity
· Counter terrorism missions
· Political, economic and social consequences of terrorist attacks
· Countering terrorism - prevention and early intervention
- Registration is done by filling the application form available on the website of the organiser www.wiseplace.pl until November 15, 2015.
- The conference fee should be paid after receiving the information that an abstract was accepted. It should be paid by bank transfer to the following account:
Code BIC/SWIFT mBank:
Bank account number:
in ZLOTY: 18 1140 2004 0000 3002 7570 6825
in EUR: 14 1140 2004 0000 3712 0376 3075
in GBP: 19 1140 2004 0000 3512 0376 3083
in USD: 09 1140 2004 0000 3912 0376 3067
in CHF: 07 1140 2004 0000 3012 0376 3059
Name and address of the bank:
mBank S.A. FORMERLY BRE BANK S.A. (RETAIL BANKING) LODZ, Skrytka pocztowa 2108, 90-959 Łódź 2
until November 29, 2015. Please indicate the title of the conference you want to participate in and your name, for example: Ins and outs of elections campaigns – John Smith. The conference fees are as follows:
- 20 EUR – passive participation
- 50 EUR – active participation – presentation and article in Polish
- 100 EUR – active participation – presentation and article in English
- Active participation in the conference requires a speaker to send his / her presentation to the email address email@example.com until November 29, 2015. Each speaker has to choose one of the forms of presentation:
- Traditional presentation prepared in Microsoft Power Point
- Audio presentation (only the voice of a speaker)
- Audio-visual presentation
Audio and audio-video presentations should be saved in one of the following formats: MP4 Video (* .mp4), OGG Video (*.ogg), WebM Video (* .webm), Windows Media Video (* .wmv), MPEG Video (* .mpg), MP3 Sound (* .mp3), Windows Wave Sound (* .wav), Windows Media Audio (* .wma). Instructions on how to easily prepare the audio and audio-video presentation can be found on the website www.wiseplace.pl. In the case of traditional presentation, please notice that it should depict the chosen topic in a comprehensive manner through a greater than usual amount of content. Our conferences are asynchronous which means that a participant has an access to published materials at any convenient for him / her time. This type of approach allows the participant to have the opportunity to become familiar with all presentations, not only with those which are presented in his or her panel as it takes place during traditional conferences.
- After making the payment and submitting the presentation, each speaker will receive on the day of the conference a login and password thanks to which he or she will have access to all presentations as well as materials related to the subjects discussed. Each speaker will also have the opportunity to ask questions and participate in asynchronous debate. Finally each person will receive a participation certificate confirming his or her involvement in the event.
- All articles which will receive a positive opinion and recommendation of a reviewer will be published in the form of an electronic book. Number of points for the article in Polish is
4 points, in English 5 points. The deadline for submission of articles - February 29, 2016.